This is one of those recipes that I just love for so many reasons.
1. It is a slow-cooker recipe
2. It freezes well
3. It is highly versatile
4. It can be stretched to maximize the grocery dollar!
The Chalupa Dinner Bowl first came to our house by way of my Southern Living cookbook. It is a keeper. It is a pulled pork style recipe but without the BBQ sauce and with a Latin American flavour. As mentioned above, it freezes very well and can quickly be pulled out when you are in a pinch for dinner.
1. As chili, in a bowl, with shredded cheese and sour cream on top.
2. Over cornbread. Yum.
3. As a filler for fajitas or burritos.
4. Over nachos with cheese.
5. As a filler for tacos.
6. Spooned over baked potatoes with salsa on top.
7. In a baked fajita or tortilla bowl.
8. With mashed potatoes and corn on the cob.
9. Spooned over rice (pictured above) and topped with plain yogurt or sour cream and green onions.
10. On a fresh bun, topped with cheese and salsa as a Tex Mex pulled pork sandwich.
You can find the recipe for the Chalupa Dinner Bowl by clicking here.
Note: In some places it may be hard to find the canned green chiles (check the Mexican food section of your grocery store). I have made this recipe without using them and it still tastes delicious.