Back in the fall, I was scouring thrift stores for some décor to use in our still underway guestroom makeover. On a visit to The Salvation Army, I stumbled across a set of three prints, all in custom wood frames. The prints were not bad – they were all agricultural or country themed, and since this room is inspired by my grandfather’s home in Nova Scotia I decided they could work. Each print was on sale for $4.99, but I had a coupon for a discount from a previous donation so I ended up purchasing them for $3.00 each. Not bad.
Although the prints looked decent, the mattes in each were a very dark green and the frames looked dated and worn from age. It was time for a makeover.
The first order of business was to carefully remove the frame backing, cardboard, mattes, prints, and glass. Next up, I painted the mattes white using Rustoleum White paint. Simple. Easy.
The frames were a bit trickier, and reminded me of my love-hate relationship with Rustoleum.
Rustoleum is awesome and can transform just about anything which is why I love it. I hate it because it really only work best when the weather is such that you can use it outdoors (ie. sunny, still days of a moderate temperature). Initially I tried to spray paint these frames. Fail. Even though it was done indoors, it was in a cooler part of our house and due to the cold temperature I ended up getting all kinds of bubbles in the paint. In addition, the fumes went through the whole house and made me feel ill. This was the reminder that I should only use Rustoleum on the aforementioned days. But all was not lost…
I sanded down the frames, primed them with Para Primer and then painted them (by hand, no spray) my current favourite shade of grey, St. Boniface, using Para furniture paint.
A quick coat of Windex to clean up the glass, and a very tedious and careful reassembly of the ensemble and ……voilà…..a fantastic set of custom framed prints at a bargain price. Thank you Salvation Army!!