I loved baked beans. I mean, I really love them. When we lived in Québec, one of my friends often made incredible maple baked beans from scratch. Breakfast just was not the same without them. When we lived in the UK, tomato flavoured baked beans were served with every English breakfast - and of course - they were a favourite topping on jacket potatoes (a baked potato served as an entrée with various possible toppings). And who doesn't love some good old BBQ beans with cornbread and chicken? Or served as a side with fajitas? Oh man, now I'm hungry. OK, let's get to the point.
For quite some time I was scouring the internet for a BBQ Baked Beans recipe that I could make without having turn on the oven - and that did not involve using canned beans. Well, I could't find out. I found some good recipes from Ricardo, The Pioneer Woman, and Paula Deen but none of them were exactly what I was looking for. In the end, I took parts from all of these recipes to come up with a made from scratch in the Slow Cooker BBQ Baked Beans. It's good. Real good.
Slow Cooker BBQ Baked Beans
750 ml (3 cups) of dried navy beans
1 onion, peeled and halved
4 1/2 cups of chicken broth
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1 tsp of dry mustard
1 to 1 1/2 cups of BBQ sauce (I prefer Bullseye Original)
6-8 slices of bacon
Easy Steps to Delicious BBQ Beans:
1. Put the beans in a large bowl and cover them with water. Let the beans soak overnight (even up to 12 hours) at room temperature. Make sure the beans are always submerged in water. Rinse and drain the beans.
2. Put both onion halves in the slow cooker. Add the beans, chicken broth, maple syrup, dry mustard and 1 cup of the BBQ sauce. Place the bacon, in strips, on top of all ingredients.
3. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours (cooking time will vary depending on your slow cooker).
4. You can use a slotted spoon to remove the onion from the slow cooker. You may also wish to remove the bacon (I remove what I can, but you can most certainly leave it in).
5. Taste time - check your beans and adjust the amount of BBQ sauce as you see fit.