This week I came across a relatively new Canadian website/App to help you save money on grocery and household items. Having explored other related Apps and websites let me just say that I really, really like this one for a number of reasons.
First - what is Sale Whale? Sale Whale is a Canadian website (also available to download as an app) that helps you compare grocery flyers. By entering your postal code and your desired shopping radius, all the flyers for the stores in your area are pulled up for you. Very cool. Especially because it even includes the Warehouse Coupons for Costco.
What makes Sale Whale extra special?
A few things:
1. When you click to the view the flyer for the store, you do not get a page view of the flyer. I love this because it makes it particularly easy to scroll through items, in particular on your mobile phone. You can go through the entire flyer by item, or you can filter it so specific categories like Baby, Meat, Dairy, etc.
2. You can create a customized sale alert list, that allows you to specify by brand what you are looking for. For example, I set up email alerts to notify me of great sales on Natrel Milk, Philadephia Cream Cheese, Cracker Barrel Cheese, etc. The list of things you can add to your alert list is extensive and the element of detail is bonus.
3. Brand Search. At the bottom of the website (I don't know why it isn't at the top), there is a BRAND tab. If you click on the tab, it allows you to search by brand name for deals that are available that week. I tried this out with a more obscure brand (La Roche Posay) and it did work - in fact it pulled up a current Optimum bonus points deal that Shopper's Drug Mart is offering with the purchase of La Roche Posay products.
4. Front page deals: On the homepage, there is a brief pull of some of the top "Front page deals" from various flyers in the area. A great way to quickly see some of the week's top sales.
5. Catch of the Week Blog: One of my favourite features, on the blog section of the website there is a Catch of the Week series which highlights the top 5 deals on particular food items (cheese, butter, coffee, etc.) in an area for that week. This blog is done for major metropolitan areas like Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal. A really great feature.
I love paper flyers and I read them for my preferred stores weekly, but Sale Whale is a fantastic website that has already made my weekly grocery planning easier. Check it out and save!!
Post a Comment